Thursday, October 8, 2009

Geocaching!

On Wednesday October 7th, our 9:30 section of COM 435 went on our geocaching adventure! For me, it was my first time participating in an activity like this and may I say that I had a fun time especially for a morning class!
The first time I heard about geocaching was from a friend of mine who participated in the event this past summer. It sounded like a fun thing to do but I knew little about it. It's a small world considering that I am now in a class learning about the game as well as being able to participate in an example game.
I'm sure after reading many peoples experiences, you'll get the idea of what geocaching is about but in our class we were separated into teams go out and find clues to make up a bigger picture. The teams would report clues back to a main/lead unit who were back at the classroom and they were to put every teams clues together to find the answer to the riddle and try to get it done in the fastest time. 
I was in team 4 which was out in the field looking for clues.


Just a little about my experience--- 
When we first got together in class, I had no idea what to expect. I felt a little lost as to what my role as the reporter was supposed to do. Was I just supposed to text the lead investigator? Call him/her? Twitter? Email? Was I supposed to find a completely different form of communication as a way to send my clues/location to our lead team? I hope I wasn't the only one who felt that way! 
Anyways, so we left the ME building with our teams and met outside to receive our GPS systems, which by the way were amazing and very high tech!...actually it looks a little like this 




Our team began our journey once we started to receive signals of where our clues were. We headed from ME toward the Hovde, and we stood around the grassy areas across from the building construction for quite some time. Finally we figured out "OH there is a clue in the grass/plants!" This is where we found clue 4 which was about the first of buildings to be certified with this credential. We sent this clue back to our lead investigators by text. Then we were on the lookout for our next clue. This lead to Schlemen Hall, where we met up with another team in search for the next clue. We found it between the cement seats outside the hall and the plants. This clue stated "whats up with my roof?" We then sent this clue back to the lead investigating team by text. It was then that they sent me a text back trying to figure out where we were locating our clues, which may or may not have been important to the result of the puzzle, but I let them know.
Then our team moved on searching for our next clue, but time was coming to a close. It took us a very long time to find our next clue but we were unable to find it by the time the lead investigative team texted me telling me the answer was 'going green.' I still do not know where the clue was that my team was looking for.

This activity took a lot of patience but a lot of teamwork to be able to follow the navigator and be able to work with the other teams in reporting back what we had found or where we were. But overall, I had a really great time with this activity and I can see why it is such a popular game of hide and seek around the world!! I may end up playing sometime in the future!

-Conte



No comments:

Post a Comment